With the July 4th holiday approaching, all you Type A personalities will find that relaxing has a huge pay-off for both your personal and business lives.
“Slow Down. You move too fast.” (Simon & Garfunkel)
A recent Harvard Medical School study by Professor and Neuro-scientist Moshe Bar confirmed that the “high mental load” we all carry around with us diminishes originality and creativity of responses to situations. His key message is that On a personal level, that causes us “to fail to experience life to the fullest.” (Emphasis mine)
His experiments illustrate how. “Honing an ability to unburden the [mental] load on your mind…can bring with it a wonderfully magnified experience of the world—and as our study suggests, of your own mind.”
For Fast-acting Relief, Try Slowing Down. (Lily Tomlin)
Professor Bar’s findings about life have direct application to all of us who carry around huge “mental business loads.” Those loads cause stress and, for business, squeeze out creativity. With little time to think, we tend to default to rote responses to objections, requests for proposals, and presentation scenarios.
We need to be able to “unburden” the load on our minds to magnify our creative thinking ability. Anyone who has ever had an “aha!” moment while taking a shower, or running in the park, or cleaning a room will agree that a relaxed mind leads to fresh ideas.
The key is to jumpstart that relaxed state of mind when you need it.
3 Ways to Jumpstart a Relaxed Mind
- Create a relaxed team environment for generating ideas. Set aside time with colleagues to brainstorm unique solutions to shared business challenges. Serve food, snacks, play background music, have toys on the desks/tables. Make it fun. All those things tend to relax people, which helps to broaden thinking
- Get lost! Identify the problem you want to solve and give yourself permission to have down time: go for a walk, work out, play with your kids, play with a friend’s kids, go window-shopping, play a sport, smell the roses, go to the zoo, etc. Ideas will bubble up when you least expect them.
- Play the “Personality game. In a group or by yourself, imagine you are another character from pop culture, history, the news, sports, Disney, etc. and ask yourself how would that person solve your problem? Be outrageous. Very likely the outrageous thing you think that person would do will lead you to more practical ideas as to what you can do.
Good for Your Spirit, Great for Sales
On a personal level, flip those hot dogs, take a slow walk on the beach, go for a hike. Relax your mind for a more enjoyable life. In business, learn how to relax as well. It will help you
- Bring a fresh perspective to business situations
- Provide novel value to clients &
- Give you a competitive edge in the market
Relax, everyone, and enjoy the holiday!
Make What You Say Pay!
Build Your Team’s Creative Thinking Powers
Teach your team to dazzle clients, vaporize objections, close business, eliminate problems, streamline procedures and power up processes.Check out “Outrageous Thinking & Other Sales Wizardry,” the workshop that shows how to generate ideas on a regular basis.
“A plain iron bar is worth $5. If you make horseshoes from it, the value increases to $10. If you make needles, $3285. If watch springs,$250,000. Ergo, the difference between $5 and $250,000 is creativity.” Anonymous.
If you like these posts, please feel free to share with clients, colleagues, and friends. Thank you!