We’ve all had the experience of really hitting it off with someone we meet for the first time. For me it is something about their energy, their eyes, the way they interact with me, their tempo, their self-confidence, sense of humor, integrity, intelligence, and empathy. Somehow, I sense all that pretty quickly—or think I do—and want to know them better. I was thinking about how that special vibe gets created with clients and prospects as well, as my husband, our 17 year old high school junior and I visited four colleges over three days this week to check out schools for her. One school we all immediately liked, one we deemed an immediate “no,” and two we really loved. Some mix of factors caused those reactions. The question is, how much can you control the vibe your prospects and clients feel towards you?
What Vibe Do Clients Need?
Like the colleges with their prospective students, you can’t dictate that someone else will absolutely like and want to choose you. However, when it comes to business, I suggest that there are behaviors and mindsets that you can manifest to create a likely positive vibe that will make you a buyer's number one choice.
Rate how well how do the following with prospects when you meet them:. 1 = Not At All, 5 = Always
- ___Demonstrate respect for their time and uniqueness. (You come to the call knowing their industry and company )
- ___Manifest a genuine interest in wanting to help them solve problems or realize a vision vs. making the quick sale. (You approach them as a potential trusted advisor vs. a vendor out for the quick sale.)
- ___Show empathy and respect for their views, concerns, and feelings. (You listen with the intent to understand, not to push an agenda.)
- ___Bring fresh thinking to the conversation. (You are willing to explore options, rather than push specific products.)
- ___Demonstrate integrity. (You will admit it if you are not the best fit for their needs and make suggestions as to what else they might do.)
- ___Respect their need to share personal information--or not. . (You recognize and respond to different personal styles.)
- ___Make it fun. (You allow natural humor into your conversation.)
How did you do? Pat yourself on the back for the ratings that are 4 or 5. Work on the ratings that are 3 or below.
Good Vibes Lead to Good Business
In a world of similar products and services, the final decision for prospects often comes down to their feeling or vibe about you. There will always be that vibe. Do everything you can to make it a good one!
P.S. For a deeper dive on how people make quick decisions about others (and other situations) read
- Malcolm Gladwell. Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking which deals with how we come to conclusions quickly with minimum information.
- Daniel Kahneman. Thinking Fast and Slow which is a different look on this subject, rich with research into how we think and what colors our decision
Random Recommendation Perfect Pitch 24 delivers a centralized content management system that places all sales and marketing videos, images and documents right at your fingertips making it easy and seamless to present the right message to the right customer at the right time. (In the spirit of full disclosure, I am an affiliate.) Click 30 Day Free Trial - Start Now!
If You Missed This: Download Your Complimentary Copy Now
"No One Hears Your Pounding Heart! The Ultimate Guide to Boosting Presentation Confidence" 50+ tips from business, celebrities, and thought leaders. (Particularly like the one about stilettos!). Never lose it again! Get it today.Share it with friends.
Want to nail your next presentation? Give me a call and we will work through your story, your slides, and your delivery. 212 876 1875 or email email@example.com
"I still use what you taught me thirteen years ago." CEO, IstDibs.com
"Your input and validation is priceless." Consultant, The Bridge Group, Inc.
Words Matter - Make What You Say Pay!
If you like these posts, please share with friends, colleagues, and clients. Thank you!