He was frustrated. He was furious. He had just received the highest performance rating possible a 10, and instead of a promotion, he was advised to seek some coaching. When he asked his boss, how that could be, his boss said, “A 10 in performance on his job did not mean an automatic10 at the next promotional level." In my client’s case, that meant he had to change the dynamics of his communication style if he hoped to succeed at the next level. His experience raises an interesting question for all of us.
What skills, behavior changes, or competencies do you need to advance to the next position or income level in your field?
The Clichés are True
- “How do you know when you are an old dog? When you stop learning new tricks.”
- “Even if you’re on the right track, if you just sit there, you are going to get hit.”
- “Man sit long time with mouth open waiting for bird to fly in.”
Successful people know that complacency is a losing strategy for success. They understand that what got them where they are today will not necessarily get them where they want to be tomorrow. Accordingly, they are constantly improving themselves.
What do you need?
- Do you need to change your operating style? In my client’s case above, his up-to-then very successful, friendly, sharing communication style was just too casual for dealing with executives at the next level. We worked on bringing his communication style more into line with what the company required.
- Are there technologies you need to master? Early on in the days of the internet, I had a colleague who was blogging away, contributing to posts, twittering, doing podcasts, etc. a regular “online slut,” as she jokingly called herself. She wasn’t sure exactly what she was doing, but she sensed the internet and social media would be a major factor in business. Today, she is one of the leading online authorities in her field .
- Should you be networking with different people? I recall a senior woman I coached who lost out to a colleague for a very senior job because she ultimately was not known by the right senior executives in her firm.
- Is it time to build your business acumen? Do you need to understand more deeply how different industries or companies work? Would that help you navigate internal decision-making for new projects or close business more quickly?
- Should you have a makeover? One client realized she had to completely revise her wardrobe and make-up because she would now be calling on CEOs, instead of IT executives, and needed a more powerful look.
- Is it time to polish up your skills? Presenting demos, presenting in general, negotiating, communicating on the phone, writing, and managing internal resources are more important than ever in today’s more complex and competitive world. Are you as sharp as you need to be to stay on the competitive edge?
Take a tip from Michelangelo, whose motto was “I am always learning.” Figure out what you need to learn today, do it, and become more successful tomorrow.
Words Matter - Make What You Say Pay!
Need Help With Your Presentation or Demo Skills or Story?
Call today and turn your information that tells into an experience that sells.
"Anne has transformed the way we engage with clients. I highly recommend her for demo/presentation training." Trish Bertuzzi, Pres, The Bridge Group, Inc.
“I still use what you taught me thirteen years ago!” CEO, #1 luxury website
“Thanks to you, our presentation went very well…I am in awe at how you are able to analyze a situation and help me focus in on the key points that need to be clarified and emphasized. You make it look easy, but I know it is not!Lynn Hutzel-Visel, VP, Comerica Bank
Now Available in print, on Kindle & as Audiobook
The Tall Lady With the Iceberg: the power of metaphors to sell, persuade, & explain anything to anyone.
“Filled with fresh thinking, this book should be a "must read" for all salespeople and business leaders who want to take their communication skills to the next level.”
If you like these posts, please share with friends, clients, and colleagues. Thank you!